> Join our real-time trading chat on WowApp
> Why WowApp?

Sign in to follow this  
Tomas

6.2. Seasonality

For my first two or three years, I wasn’t used to seasonality. There are always less races and less money involved during the winter. For example January and February are always the months with the lowest number of races, especially high profile races. Don’t be surprised if you earn much lower amounts during the winter than in the summer. It isn’t your fault or the fault of your trading style. It’s just seasonality. Keep this in mind when progressing through the year.

Seasonality also affects the times for trading. For example, the sun sets earlier in the day during winter, and therefore, the start time of the trading session is also earlier. The first races can start after 11am, compared to summer when UK horse racing starts around 2pm. I’m referring to local time in the UK.

In winter, there are also more races being cancelled due to bad weather. If there are less than 3 races a day, I personally take the day off because trading and the flow of money to the market is affected. Cancelled races means less money in the market and trading can be a pain because the market doesn’t react as it would if the races were not cancelled. This is also good to know.

There are two main seasons in British horse racing:

6.2.1. Flat Season

Flat turf racing reaches its peak in May, June, July and August. These months are rich with opportunities because racing starts at 2pm and ends in the evening. During these months, jump & all weather racing have the lowest number of races. It’s good to make the most out of the opportunities during these months because as I said – winter can be tough and you can experience a large decline in earnings.

6.2.2. Jump Season

Jump season peaks in November, December, January, February and March. In general, the number of races during these months is lower than in the summer and you may miss the evening racing. During April, September and October, there’s a transition between the Flat and Jump seasons. The last big opportunity in jump season is the Grand National in Aintree.

6.2.3. All Weather

There are four all weather tracks in the UK – Kempton Park, Lingfield, Southwell and Wolverhampton. You can rest assured these tracks will always be on the card. These tracks usually don’t attract big volumes of money but it’s good to know you can rely on them. Personally, I like trading these tracks as I always found it little bit easier to make a profit on them.

< PREV | HOME | NEXT >

“Sports Trading Exposed” is now FREE & OPEN SOURCE! The most comprehensive, in-depth online sports trading guide ever written.

“After more than 10 years of full-time sports trading that put me in the top 1/2 per cent of the most successful career earners on Betfair, I’m exposing EVERYTHING I’ve learned!  I’ll provide you with all the tools you need to substantially decrease your risk and exponentially maximize your earning potential!”

Click to read it now!

> Join our real-time trading chat on WowApp
> Why WowApp?